Monday, June 2, 2008

Old Oakland & Lake Merritt

On Friday we went to "Old Oakland" to the farmers market. I had never before in my life heard about Old Oakland. When I first heard that we were gonna go there I pictured really old buildings and maybe not alot of people around there.

When we got there my first impression was, "wow, this kinda looks like a movie." All the buildings were really old but really well kept. They weren't like falling apart or anything. I had no idea that this place existed. And I had been around there so many times. My sister works at Jamba Juice in City Center and we had just gone to Chinatown which isnt far from there at all. In fact just the night before we had had our Senior Banquet at a restaurant just a couple blocks from there.

I had never before been to a farmers market and I really liked it. There were people selling produce and there was also people selling jewelry, crepes, tamales, popcorn, ethnic food, they had just about anything you could think of. It was really interesting to walk around and see all the different types of people around there. You see just about every race. And people were so nice.

Old Oakland was very different from East Oakland. The buildings and just the way that it looked was really different. Alot of the buildings around here, especially in East 14, are pretty much being remodeled but not one building in Old Oakland is remodeled. All the buildings are the original building.

After Old Oakland we went paddle boating in Lake Merritt, not far from Old Oakland. I had never been paddle boating before so it was a new experience for me. All my life I had always driven by Lake Merritt and it was just a lake to me. I never imagined that I would actually get a chance to actually go in the lake and look out. It was really nice to just lay back and chill in the boat and look around. The sun was shining and it was warm and Oakland looked beautiful.

No comments: